Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Player Profile: Brett Joelson

Brett Joelson
Brett Joelson is competing int he Father/Son National Hard Court Championships this year with his father. He has been quite active playing in the professional circuit, seeded #240 in the world, and traveling around the globe. Not only does have a passion for tennis, he has a passion for life. His outlook on tennis and competing is inspiring, and his dad and him will be great competitors in the tournament.

Racket- Head Speed MidPlus
String- Solinco
Tension- 58 lbs. 
Location- Portland, Oregon

How has your time on the Pro Circuit been so far?
It really has been an incredible experience. There is nothing better than traveling and seeing the world. I am learning everyday, and meeting new people. You really get the opportunity to make good friends. 

Has it been hard to be on the road so much?
I mean, yeah. Sometimes you are on the road for two months at a time. But, then I think that when I graduated how I had a desk job. I decided to leave that job and play tennis professionally. Every time traveling for such a long time gets rough, I just think about how I could be stuck inside at a desk all day. I am really lucky.

How was your experience at Texas A & M?
It was good. I played #3 singles and #1 doubles for four years. I loved it there. I spent a lot of my time growing up in Texas, so it was great to school there. 

What was your proudest moment in your tennis career?
I would say that making it to the U.S. Open Junior finals was my proudest moment. I got a Wild Card into the tournament, and I ended up making it to the finals. It was really amazing and inspiring to make it that far in such a great tournament. 

Wow! That must have been a great experience!
Yeah!  It was so surreal being in the same player lounge as Peter Sampras and Andre Agassi. I even got to meet Anna Kournikova, which was a 16 year-old boy's dream!

What was your challenging moment in your tennis career?
Playing six straight weeks in Mexico was pretty tough. It's hard because you aren't playing in the nicest conditions or places. I was riding a bus 6 hours throughout the country to get to new places. It was both mentally and physically demanding.

What is one piece of advice you would give to fellow tennis players?
Enjoy and have fun! The people you meet at these tournaments will be your friend for the rest of your life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment