Friday, December 3, 2010

Player Profile: William Mitchell

William Mitchell
William Mitchell is 87 years-old and still loves tennis just as much as the first time he picked up a racket. A native from Cleveland, Ohio, he is not stranger to this tournament. His exuberance and love for the sport is inspiring, and you can really feel that he is passionate about this tournament and the tradition is hold. 
How did you start playing tennis?
I was actually belonged to the Cleveland Skating Club, and at that time they had the best tennis team in Cleveland. It looked so much fun, and there were a lot of people my age out there playing, so I decided to try it out. 

What was the farthest you advanced in your tennis career?
There s a tournament in Cleveland called the Gordon Trophy, between U.S.A. and Canada. It is the 2nd longest running Men's International tournament, and I was selected by Monty Granger to play in it. 

What are you doing in the tennis community now?
I was actually chosen to help select the men's 80's team for the Gordon Trophy. It was an honor to help out with the 60 year-old tradition.

How often do you play tournaments?
I play every tournament that I can get to. I'm not saying I win all of these tournaments, but it is about the experience. I played a great last summer in West Virginia against the team that ended up winning the whole tournament. 

What challenges have you had to overcome in your tennis career?
Actually about 12 years ago, I had to start playing with a glass eye. It was hard to adjust to my new eye sight, and something to get used to. But it has been a fun experience.

What advice would you give to fellow tennis players?
Watch the ball. Don't look up! Keep your nose on the ball the whole time!


No comments:

Post a Comment