Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Player Profile: Gretchen Magers

Gretchen Magers 
Gretchen Magers has been a dominant force the first two days of the Women's 40's Hard Court Championships. Gretchen has had some amazing tennis experiences throughout her life, and is still an active player. It is easy to see that sport means a lot to her, and she is not ready to give it up anytime soon.

Racket- Dunlop 100 Aerogel
String- Technifiber
Tension- 62 lbs.
Location- San Diego, Ca

Why did you start playing tennis?
My whole family started playing tennis together. In the 70's tennis was really popular. When I was 11 years-old, my dad brought home some rackets, and we all started playing. 

How was your time in the professional circuit?
I have had some great experiences! I made it to the Finals in Mixed Doubles for Wimbledon, and the Quarterfinals of the U.S. Open.

What was some things you learned playing in the pro tour?
You can't give up! You never know what is going to happen. It is a pretty lonely existence. When you're winning, it is the best thing in the world. But, losing really sucks.

What was your proudest moment in your tennis career?
I would have to say that playing on the Olympic team in 1984 was my proudest moment. Being able to represent my country and walk through the Coliseum for the Opening Ceremonies was unreal. You never forget something like that.

What was your most challenging moment in your tennis career?
My toughest moment was playing Gigi Fernandez in the Finals of the Pan American Games. Everyone in the stands was cheering for Gigi, so I really had to fight that much harder. She was such a great player, and I ended up overcoming the challenge and beating her.

What is one piece of advice you would give to fellow tennis players?
Watch the ball and don't give up! You really need to trust and believe in yourself.

How was your time working at La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club?
I loved it! I love working here so much. It really is a great environment, and a great place to work. I really do love this club!

No comments:

Post a Comment